We invite you to join the United Way of Monroe/Lenawee Counties’ 21-Week Equity Challenge
Over the 21-Week Challenge, you will take a self-guided learning journey that examines the history and impacts of racism and how it shapes people’s lived experience nationally, statewide and locally.
The Challenge is simple: you (along with your friends, family, and neighbors in Monroe and/or Lenawee County) commit to deepening your understanding of, and willingness to confront racism for twenty-one (21) consecutive weeks, beginning on January 17th (MLK Jr. Day) through June 19th (Juneteenth). The Challenge hopes to raise your awareness, enhance your understanding, and shift the way you view racial equity.
This Challenge was originally developed by Dr. Eddie Moore, Jr., Dr. Marguerite Penick-Parks and Debby Irving and has been adapted by Food Solutions New England. The Michigan Association of United Ways has committed to adapt the challenge with the support of leaders across our Michigan United Way network. A special thank you to the United Way of Washtenaw County for their leadership and guidance.
The Challenge begins on Monday, January 17th (MLK Jr. Day) and runs through June 19th (Juneteenth). Register below to begin receiving daily prompts the first week, Monday, January 17th. Pease contact Laura Schultz Pipis lpipis@unitedwayMLC.org if you have any questions about the 21-Week Challenge.
- You (along with your friends, family, and neighbors in Monroe and/or Lenawee Counties) commit to deepening your understanding of, and willingness to confront, racism for twenty-one consecutive weeks from Monday, January 17th –Sunday, June 19th.
- On Monday of every week of the Challenge, you will receive an email "prompt" with readings, videos and/or podcasts. You are encouraged to take about ten to fifteen minutes initially to review the material in the prompt. Each weekly prompt also contains additional material for further review. Please reflect on the provided material throughout each week.
- NOTE: Check your spam folder if you do not see the 21-Day Challenge prompts in your inbox. The header should read from “United Way of Monroe/Lenawee Counties”.
- Explore this work on your own, with friends and family, or organization-wide. If you would like a group discussion guide, please contact Laura Schultz Pipis at lpipis@unitedwayMLC.org to request the guide.
- Capture your daily/weekly reflections and actions using our activity log.
- Share your reflections and “a ha” moments using the hashtags #miuwequitychallenge. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!